Now for something completely different

I've managed to acquire most of the items I need to build my own switches.  One hang up was that I had a bunch of stuff shipped to a friend's PO Box in Blaine Washington (just over the border from us) to save on postage as there is a significant difference between shipping in the US versus to Canada.  

Unfortunately the border was closed to cross border traffic due to the pandemic just after the items arrived in the PO Box.  My friend finally decided to have everything shipped by a broker so after almost a year (!?) I finally got the track building supplies.  Funny thing is with the brokerage fees I ended up paying roughly what it would have cost to ship directly to Canada!  Ah well, such goes life.  

After watching the Fast Tracks instructional guide  on Youtube (an 11 part series in 12 parts) I got underway.  I managed to follow the instructions and have built two #6 switches so far.  Both seem to be of decent quality so I'll move on to building some curved switches next to replace the curvable Shinohara switches that have been nothing but trouble since I installed them.  

A new skill is being acquired.  Another interesting facet of the hobby is being learned.  





February 14/21 Update:  We're up to 6 #6 switches and a #10 curved switch thus far, with several #10 curved switches on the menu to replace several troublesome Shinohara switches.  Building switches is far more enjoyable than I expected.  A new hobby within a hobby.


Comments

What people are looking at on this blog

Tank car weathering

CN Boxcars a Plenty

Painting wheels for roller bearing and standard bearing trucks