Down the 3D CAD rabbit hole we go

 I've been hemming and hawing about starting to do my own 3D prints for locomotive and freight car details.  The latest generation of resin printers has really tested my will power.  Seeing what my friends Dave B. and Mike M. have been able to accomplish with their printers got me to give 3D modelling a try.  Mike has offered to let me print on his machine so down the rabbit hole I go.  



Thanks to Andrew C. (friend I've only ever met via email and texts) I have plans, measurements and photos of the genset that some of the CN Pointe St. Charles cabooses were equipped with. These were common on branchline trains and were often in use in northern  Manitoba.  

Based on Andrew's work I have started doodling up a 3D model of the genset and mounts.  My plan (if it prints) is to convert at least a couple of my TLT PSC caboose fleet to have gensets.  And then the possibilities are endless.  Apparently the new Elegoo Saturn will fit a 50 foot car so that will really open up some possibilities.  Now to decide if I want another hobby within a hobby.

Ready to print.  We'll see if it falls apart or is actually useable.

February 24th, 2021 update:  It printed!  Not bad for a first pass.  A few tweaks like using brass screen on the door instead of the printed screen, but overall I'm happy with how this turned out.  The mind reels at the possibilities.







Comments

What people are looking at on this blog

Tank car weathering

CN Boxcars a Plenty

Painting wheels for roller bearing and standard bearing trucks