CP tank hopper weathering

I finally got my CP 8 hatch tank hopper weathered, at least the roof and body.  This car was built from a custom run of Sylvan Scale Models kits with my custom etched end cages from Black Cat Decals.  I still have a few of the Sylvan kits (in CP Multimark) and etchings available.  You can email me at mesagkits <AT> gmail <DOT> com for more details.

I used a combination of Vallejo dark rust applied with a sponge to get a rusty tone to the black car as well as to tone down the white lettering.  Pan Pastel titanium white chalk was applied to the roof and side using prototype photos as a guide.  The white over the black body gives a good representation of spilled cement or lime in my opinion.  

I'm still needing to weather the trucks and underframe with some road grime, but I'm happy with how it has turned out.  Sponges are turning into one of my favourite ways to weather cars.  






Comments

What people are looking at on this blog

Tank car weathering

CN Boxcars a Plenty

Railway Modellers Meet of BC 2023