CN Woodchip cars
Kaslo Shops has announced 3D printed kits for woodchip cars built by NSC and CN Transcona. These have not been offered previously and are welcomed by CN modellers. I was offered the opportunity by Kaslo Shops to build and paint a pair of these kits for the box art of the kits. While these cars never(?) operated on the Hudson Bay Railway I jumped at the chance to build these new offerings. I'll come up with some reason to have woodchip cars, maybe servicing my future paper plant.
The kits themselves are completely 3D printed and come with everything except the trucks and couplers. And they come with custom decals for these cars. Overall it is a well designed kit that goes together quickly.
I did note some print grain on the car sides. While not objectionable I elected to sand the sides to lessen the grain. 600 grit sandpaper trimmed to fit the various widths of the panels made quick work of this task. There were a couple of printing glitches that needed filling, but these were quite minor in the grand scheme. I made some additional fixes after the cars were primed for painting.
I made underframe brake gear using my best guesstimate based on photos. These cars had visible brake piping with U shaped hangers. I used 0.015" phosphor bronze wire, Accurail brake levers trimmed from 40' boxcar brake gear for the brake gear. I used staples that were formed to represent the U shaped hangers. While not 100% accurate they are reasonable representations.
The NSC car got a coat of black paint on the interior, and as discussed above I made some doors using styrene painted red as per the prototype photo. I used Sook Wang double sided tape to mount the doors. It looks pretty sharp to my eye.
I used Future (or whatever they call it now) for the areas that decals were being applied to. The decals are accurate for both car types and go one nicely. The CN noodle and "CN Rail" on the car sides take more work as they have to go over and around the side posts. I used prototype photos as a guide and sliced the decals at the appropriate locations to go over the posts. I used a spare set of Black Cat CN decals to slice up to get the sides of the posts covered. This was an involved process but if you proceed carefully it isn't that difficult, just time consuming. The end result was an accurately lettered car.
Another gloss coat was applied to seal the decals, and after that I used Tamiya TS-80 Matt clear spray on the car. I put Kadee 158 couplers weathered with Vallejo Game Effects dry rust and weathered wheelsets in the trucks. I'll hold off weathering these cars until I locate photos of what they looked like back in the early 1980's. Most online photos are from the 1990's or later so I don't want to have them over done for my time frame. Kudos to Kaslo Shops and Mattieu Lachance for getting these cars to market. They fill a large void in Canadian freight cars.