Gondola pole load

I built a pair of CN 66' gondolas <here> and decided I needed a load for them.  I shot one of these gondolas with a load of poles in 1992 (in the photo above) that I thought would be a fairly easy to build load.  The first thing I needed to sort out was how to make the poles.  

I thought about using skewers but they are too small in diameter to be reasonable.  While tooling around in a dollar store I stumbled across a package of wood dowels that scaled out to 12" diameter, roughly appropriate for HO scale.  I picked up a few packages of the dowels and had my starting point.  



I also needed to come up with how to mount the poles so they would be removable.  A small piece of thin plywood forms the load base.  I trimmed the I drilled a series of holes in the plywood to insert some round toothpicks to represent the vertical side posts used to hold the poles in place.  

I needed to figure out how to represent the bark that was seen on the posts.  I had some oil paint that was used for weathering and I used the browns and blacks to replicate the bark on the posts.  I think it worked well.  

Once the oil paint was dry I inserted four of them into the holes and glued them in place.  I cut the dowel to a scale 60' length (guesstimated) so they would fit comfortably in the gondola.  I then glued the dowel with a hot glue gun inside the posts.  I tried to keep the glue as minimal as possible with varying success.  Going forward I will likely use wood glue instead.  


I glued four more vertical posts on the side of the load and let it dry.  Once everything was set up I used 0.008" wire strung between the posts to secure the load.  I used a black felt marker to darken the wire.  I twisted the wired to represent the wire used on the prototype loads.  Some loads have a piece of wood that was used to twist the wire but I couldn't get a piece of scale wood to stay put.  That is something I still need to figure out.   

This is a quick easy load to make.  One additional thing I may need to figure out is how to taper the pole load.  That will be load 2.0.






Comments

What people are looking at on this blog

Tank car weathering

CN Boxcars a Plenty

Painting wheels for roller bearing and standard bearing trucks