CN 40' "modern" stock car




In 1984 CN rebuilt 60 boxcars for livestock service.  Their existing fleet of stock cars was on it's last legs as much of the historic livestock trade was now hauled by truck.  These cars had opening cut in their sides and slats added to give ventilation.  With the closing of the Winnipeg Stock Yards in 1989 the need for livestock cars ended and these cars were scrapped or used in work service.  I can honestly say that I never actually saw one of these cars in service.  That said I always thought they were an interesting prototype and I have toyed with building a model of one just for kicks.  

Kaslo Shops has released a 3D printed version of these cars in HO Scale and I built one for their box art.  This  is the first of many planned releases of 40 and 50 foot boxcars, many of which are unique prototypes like these cars and unlikely to be available as RTR cars.  

The kit comes with a one piece body and separate underframe along with etched and 3D parts.  This was a pretty quick  build as the brake rigging was built using an RTR 40' boxcar as a guide.  The etched ladders and grab irons were CA'ed in place.  

I primed the model and painted it CN boxcar red.  I used a set of Microscale CN Manitoba 40' boxcar decals (Set MC-4086) to decal the model.  Since these cars have the same dimensions as the standard cars the data is correct on this set.  You can also use the Black Cat CN 40' boxcar decals as well.  The advantage of the Microscale set is that the CN noodle is the correct size for the prototype.  I cut the decals to fit using prototype photos as a guide. I applied a matt finish to wrap up the build.  I may lightly weather the car and use it in work service hauling fuel or ties on the layout.     

Comments

Post a Comment

What people are looking at on this blog

CN Boxcars a Plenty

Tank car weathering

Painting wheels for roller bearing and standard bearing trucks